Skip to main content

Design


 On March 13, 2020; I was standing in  gallery full of my artwork that I had spent a year to make with no audience. The world stood still on that day. It was my opening night, as I placed a note on the gallery door saying, "Show Cancelled".

In the months to come we retreated into our homes and had to learn "to pivot". I took up gardening, made the sourdough breads, cleaned out closets and tried to keep myself and family busy to escape the reach of depression that accompanied Covid. We journaled, we zoom'd, and we watched every movie and television show available to bide our time. In the following 18  months: two of my galleries I show in went under and nothing was selling in the brick and mortar shops if they didn't have an online presence. I tried to buy a handmade ceramic mug from fellow artists I admired every month to help support my hurting art community.

I found pleasure drinking my gallons of coffee and tea ( yes, I took up drinking Ginger tea in the pandemic also)out of these little works of art that brought me joy and hope. The energy of the artist is infused in these beautiful vessels and I can feel it. This ritual was one of the ways I coped. I surrounded myself with objects that made me "feel"!!! Covid changed the way we live on many levels. I realized more than ever that the items we decorate our homes with have POWER! Beautiful pillows, funny tea towels, gorgeous smelling body oils, animal print pajamas and intricately designed rugs were needed and relied upon by my mental state to carry on as a nurturing mother, loving wife, and inspired artist. 

It took me a little time and a big birthday to digest my experiences and let the goods simmer to the surface to decide I needed more. I needed to grow and go deep. 

I started to illustrate my inward contemplations on my ceramics. Surface was becoming more important in my aesthetic. A few rabbit holes later, I came out with the need to design a colorful uplifting world. 

Many of you know me as a ceramist, but I went to art school for printmaking and bookarts. I feel my two art worlds intersecting now and have devoted the past year to trying to merge the two. 

I may not be there 100% yet but the journey is exciting and I am full again. 

As my original artist statement says, "journey with me..."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celestial Work

  I call my latest body of work, “Star People, the Sky as Witness”. (Consider this as an intergallatic introduction of sorts). The sky has always played a powerful constant in my life and she is always watching as the universe whispers it's desires. I was born on an airbase during Pisces Rising, an Aries Sun and a Scorpio Moon. I come from a family of stargazers with an alien abductee mother, who is called “Starseed" by every psychic she meets and a sailor father who consults the stars with the tide as his first mate. He drove us to Cape Canaveral when I was 11 to see the Challenger lift off. We camped in the backyard for my sweet 16 to party with Halleys Comet. My Art school Final critiques took place during an eclipse and my teachers said they wouldn't expect anything less. My sister and I observed our small existence in the Grand Canyon as we star-bathed under the glorious milk way.  My children and I get up in the middle of the night and stand in the driveway to “ooh a

Thrilled to be included in the SIP SHOW again this year

I am thrilled to have been accepted into the Savannah Clay Community SIP "A Ceramic Cup Show" again this year.

Manifesting my Dream

Well I'm writing to you from the cutest little casita off of Canyon Road in Santa Fe, NM. We took a chance and followed a dream that's been in the works for 30+ years for me. It's time for adventure. I am now a Southwest girl ; make that a southwest cowgirl! Please follow along to see what this life path has in store . I'm super excited and very grateful to be here.  Misspelt from my iPhone Nicole Merkens Art & Design www.nicolemerkens.com 404-667-3162 Insta:  @artgirl253 Facebook:   https://www.facebook.com/nicolemerkensart