Skip to main content

A Magical Trip to San Miguel de Allende

view out my hotel window in the mornings

I have just returned from an amazing 10 day trip to San Miguel de Allende in Mexico. I attended a two week work shop with my idols: Debra Fritts and Lisa Clague at Barro.Co Clay Studio. They both taught how they built the figure in clay and we went on numerous field trips to parts of Mexico that I don't think I would have ever seen.  One of the field trips was to junk yards, one to the Mummy Museum, the Folk Art Museum, The Mask Museum, The Chapel of Jimmy Ray, Delores Hildago, Guanajuato, and Gorky Gonzalez Majolica Studio.  The people, the art, the architecture and the food were all superb! I miss the colors of Mexico as I write this post. I will return very soon. Here are photos and some great restaurant suggestions, in case you are itching to go:

la azotea / rooftop bar with great appetizers / jicama tacos are delicious
the rosewood hotel / rooftop bar with amazing view of san miguel
la posadita / rooftop mexican restaurant / very sweet place with view of the parroquia
sollano 16 / contemporary mexican in a beautiful courtyard / great food!
matilda’s / modern fancy at the hotel matilda
los milagros / traditional mexican bar & restaurant / get a molcajete of seafood 
la sirena gorda / good tacos
hotel sautto / italian food / quiet portal in the back of the hotel / good for late lunch
la parroquia cafe / good breakfast
el manantial / good bar / up on the hill
cumpanio / bakery & good for breakfast, too
el correo / good anytime / traditional mexican
don taco tequila / contemporary taco tequila bar
la mezcaleria / artisan mezcals & food
maria xonocostle / good breakfast place in a courtyard

in town:
patricia larsen’s gallery / y somos
lisa kingsley’s gallery
trinitate / white plates
camino silvestre / shop & cafe 
bellas artes / contemporary art galleries, classes, concerts
la aurora / gallery & design shops / restaurants & cafes too / at the edge of town
artesania / market with handicrafts & flowers



Debra Fritts Demonstarting

Lisa Clague's Piece

One of my pieces I made
second piece I made

Third piece I made







awesome workshop group





















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celestial Work

  I call my latest body of work, “Star People, the Sky as Witness”. (Consider this as an intergallatic introduction of sorts). The sky has always played a powerful constant in my life and she is always watching as the universe whispers it's desires. I was born on an airbase during Pisces Rising, an Aries Sun and a Scorpio Moon. I come from a family of stargazers with an alien abductee mother, who is called “Starseed" by every psychic she meets and a sailor father who consults the stars with the tide as his first mate. He drove us to Cape Canaveral when I was 11 to see the Challenger lift off. We camped in the backyard for my sweet 16 to party with Halleys Comet. My Art school Final critiques took place during an eclipse and my teachers said they wouldn't expect anything less. My sister and I observed our small existence in the Grand Canyon as we star-bathed under the glorious milk way.  My children and I get up in the middle of the night and stand in the driveway to “ooh a

Thrilled to be included in the SIP SHOW again this year

I am thrilled to have been accepted into the Savannah Clay Community SIP "A Ceramic Cup Show" again this year.

Fun glaze experiments

I am thrilled with this fun glaze experiment. My salads will be so pretty.